Where do young people get information about sex and relationships?
Ideally young people can rely on their parents, factually accurate sex education, and a medical provider. Too often, though, their answers come from a quick Google search, friends, significant others, or the media – and those answers can be far from truthful.
The BrdsNBz Text Message Warm Line provides confidential, factually accurate answers to sexual health questions via text message. A young person simply texts a question, and a trained health educator responds within 24 hours.
BrdsNBz serves young people ages 14 to 19 who live in North Carolina. View our Terms and Conditions for more information.
How to Use BrdsNBz
To use BrdsNBz:
- Text ncteen to 66746 to opt-in to the service. You only need to opt in the first time you use the service.
- Text your question to 66746.
- You will receive your answer within 24 hours.
If you would like to advertise BrdsNBz to your friends or to a classroom, please feel free to print and duplicate this BrdsNBz Flyer.
How Can BrdsNBz Help?
We receive an amazing array of questions through BrdsNBz. The most common topics include:
- Sex. Examples: What certain slang terms mean. The risks of specific sexual activities. Dispelling myths about sex.
- Relationships. Examples: How to know if someone likes you. How to ask someone out. What to do if a partner mistreats you.
- Bodies. Examples: What a period is and what to do. Am I normal? Anatomical questions.
- Safety. Examples: How to get birth control. How pregnancy occurs. How HIV and STDs are contracted. Where to get tested.
- We cannot diagnose medical issues like HIV, STDs, and/or pregnancy. We will refer a user to seek the help of a medical professional for a diagnosis and care. We inform them of their rights and of local resources.
- We often counsel users to seek the advice of a parent or trusted adult.
- We do not provide information on sexual technique. (Example: We will answer What is a blow job? We will not answer How do I give a blow job?)
- We have a strict confidentiality policy. We will only break confidentiality to follow a red flag protocol if a user indicates the danger of some imminent harm.
Outside of North Carolina?
If you are interested in providing a sexual health text service outside of North Carolina, we can help! Learn more about our BrdsNBz National Text Message System and how other areas are implementing BrdsNBz.
Have more questions about BrdsNBz? Contact Kennon Jackson, Jr.